When winters come, you might take it a little easy on pests because the common notion is that they go into hibernation once temperatures drop. But the truth is that you need to be all the more careful because they may find your warm home as the best place to hibernate. This makes it vital to have a strategy to ensure that unwanted visitors do not drop in during the winter months. Here are a few simple measures that every homeowner should take to keep their living space pest-free in the winter season.
Seal your home against the intruders
As the mercury drops, getting food, water, and shelter outdoors becomes more difficult for insects and rodents. Obviously, you can expect them to look for all three inside your home. So your first step should be to prevent pests from making their way indoors. Here are the measures you can take to ensure this:
- Seal all the cracks and crevasses in the doors and windows to cover any entry points and keep outdoor pests outdoors.
- Check the living space for leaks and seal the exterior gaps because they make an easy route for pests as large as rats and mice to enter.
- Caulk cracks along the kitchen and bathroom fixtures because they provide pests easy access to water.
Fortify your defenses
Just making efforts to prevent entry for the pests will not keep them out as they can still find an entry point. You need to have a proper plan to fortify your defenses against them. Following are the measures you can take:
- Spray strong pesticide products around the boundaries of your home and treat the larger entryways like doors as well. Indoor and outdoor application is recommended for best results.
- Pay extra attention to spaces where insects and rodents are most likely to hide. Areas such as your attic and unused rooms are the most likely resting spots. Also, be extra careful with your kitchen and bathroom because they offer easy access to food and water.
- Having a professional cleanup is also a good idea because they will not only clear the space of the pests but also seal the openings for good. Availing a Pest Control service keeps your home safe and gives you peace of mind. So this is a worthwhile expense for every homeowner.
Break the bad habits
As a homeowner, you need to be aware that there are certain bad habits that attract pests. You may be inviting them with everyday actions that appear harmless. It is recommended to avoid the following:
- Don’t leave food items out in the open, either on the kitchen shelf or the living room table. Keep them sealed and packaged so that pests do not have anything to feast on. Don’t forget to clean the kitchen shelf every night.
- Avoid storing firewood close to your home because wood-boring pests hide therein and find an easy route into your living space. Ensure that it is stored at least 3 feet away from the house.
- Don’t keep clutter in your living space because piles of paper or old stuff make a favorite spot for pests to hide.
Following these simple measures can go a long way in keeping your home pest-free during winter. The final advice is to keep a vigil and take action as soon as you spot danger.
Visit AMS Pest Control for related information.