Mold comes in many forms. It’s could be the orange film on your kitchen drain, the white patches on the floor of your basement, or the black spots on your shower curtain. Regardless of how it appears, we can all agree that mold looks disgusting. And that’s not all. Mold can make you sick as well, and you’re most prone if you have asthma or other allergies.
You may not be allergic, but exposure to mold can still cause irritation to the lungs, throat, nose, skin, and eyes. Given this fact, it’s important to know what you can do to fight mold problems and take care of yourself and your family.
6 Signs of Mold
1. You can see it. Seeing mold growing in plain sight is enough evidence that your home is infested. But you have no way of knowing how serious it is without a mold removal professional.As mentioned, mold can vary widely in appearance. It commonly appears as a green or yellowish patch, but it can also be white, pink, red, brown, or black. Sometimes, it even appears bluish or purplish.It’s important to spot growths and stains inside your home. If you notice something getting bigger every day, that should be your cue.
2. You can smell it. Mold and mildew emit a distinct smell. You may have smelled it a couple of times already if you’ve ever been down in a basement. However, the smell isn’t always strong. It can be faint, but it doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous.If something seems off about the way some part of your house smells, even if you can’t see it, you might have a mold problem.
3. Your humidity is too high. If you live in an area where it’s often all too humid, or your AC system suddenly malfunctions, there’s a pretty good chance mold will start invading your home because mold thrives on humidity.
4. Your home has been damaged by water. Water damage is an ideal opportunity for mold spores. If you’ve hired a water removal service before for pipe damages or to remove snowmelt or flooding, it’s almost automatic that mold will be your next problem. If your home has sustained water damage recently, have a mold removal team inspect your whole house.
5. You’re suddenly inflicted with health issues. Mold contains mycotoxins that can affect our respiratory functions, skin, and other parts of the body. It can cause serious damage when left untreated, so it’s critical that you know the reason why you or a family member is suddenly sick. If you’ve been experiencing a combination of any of the following symptoms, then have mold removal specialists conduct inspections of your home:
- skin inflammation
- respiratory problems
- internal organ damage
- mucous membrane irritation
- immune system suppression
- mental impairment
Before black mold exposure becomes a problem, you should find a way to remove mold from your environment. Once the mold is eliminated from your surroundings, your body will recover over time.
6. You’ve had mold problems before. Mold is not just unsightly; it’s resilient too. So if you think your DIY methods of cleaning worked, you’re probably wrong. You’ve managed to eliminate visibility, but more often than not, there are colonies that have grown in hard-to-reach areas.This is why it’s important to seek the help of a mold removal specialist like the Illinois-based contractors Aloha Restoration. A professional cleanup is your best option to deal with the problem right away.
Why Hire a Professional Mold Removal Service
The only way to deal with mold is through prevention. But if you suspect that mold has started to grow in certain areas of your house, knowing how to eliminate it should be a priority. Below are some reasons why you should seek a consultation with experienced and reputable mold removal experts like Aloha Restoration:
To Ensure Thorough Cleaning
A quick online search will show you a ton of DIY articles about mold removal, but don’t risk your health and the wellbeing of everyone around you. A 100 percent cleanup may seem an impossibility, but professional mold removal services will guarantee a more thorough cleaning. Professionals have the experience and knowledge to deal with this household problem.
To Prevent Mold from Spreading
When cleaning mold, it’s quite inevitable that spores will get into the air, spreading more mold to other places in the house. This risk is greater if you do the job by yourself.Mold spores, when left behind, still cause hygiene problems, especially if they get into your HVAC system. To prevent spores from spreading, let professionals do the job.
To Locate the Source
Locating the areas where mold is growing and being able to clean it is but the first step. You’ll only be guaranteed a mold-free home if you discover the source. You may not be successful in this endeavor, so allow mold cleaning services to help you out. They will not only get rid of mold, but they will also make sure to locate the source.Professional cleaning involves mold testing, and the results will be shared with you, so you’ll know how to prevent mold growth in the future. Mold remediation services are made up of people who are knowledgeable when it comes to distinguishing the discoloration found in a moldy area and teaching you where mold is more likely to grow.
If you’ve identified the source, they will inform you of the best method to get rid of the problem once and for all. This is the only way to prevent a recurrence from happening. A professional service will also inform you of what you should watch out for, so you can contain mold growth on your own before the contractors arrive.
To Keep Everyone Healthy
If you want to reduce health problems in your home, it’s important to invest in emergency mold removal. Since cleaning mold by yourself will only worsen the problem, you’ll want professional cleaning. After all, only these people have the right tools to fight mold and protect themselves from exposure.The mold removal specialists at Aloha Restoration will keep you and your family healthy. At the same time, they’ll help you protect your valuables, as mold can also damage your personal belongings.
Keeping Your Home Mold-Free with Aloha Restoration
Aloha Restoration is a family-owned business in Lake Zurich, Illinois, consisting of licensed contractors specializing in mold removal, water removal, smoke restoration, and fire damage cleanup. Aloha offers in home assessments.