The imprisonment of people is probably one of the bigger taboo within our modern society. A Prison is a place in which people are physically confined and usually deprived of a range of personal freedoms. Imprisonment or incarceration is a legal penalty that may be imposed by the state for the commission of a crime.
The Pacific Ocean is the largest of the Earth’s oceanic divisions. It extends from the Arctic in the north to the Southern Ocean in the south, bounded by Asia and Australia in the west, and the Americas in the east.
AIM OF THIS COMPETITION
The aim of this International Competition is to design a New Prison afloat the Pacific Ocean, using an oil Platform as a reference structure. The design of this new Platform will include all the facilities a prison may need including cells, exercise yard, etc.. with a design that still facilitates human rights within the deemed confinement.
The architecture of this new building should reflect contemporary design tendencies, standing out for its uniqueness as a prison.
This competition hopes to achieve the following:
- To investgate new direction and functionality of incarceration including methods of confinement.
- To generate the discussion of ideas regarding the ambiguous role of architecture in relation to the punishment of imprisonment.
- Research, respond to and highlight the unique aspects of designing a highly functional piece of architecture with an economic and safety advantages for all.
- Encourage and reward design excellence on a large scale, which integrates function, structure, details, etc within an Ocean environment.
- Encourage the employment of sustainable design in all aspects of the proposal.
This is a single stage Competition with the aim of identifing the most appropriate proposal, which best satisfies the general and specific objectives of the contest.
THOSE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE
Architects, Architecture Graduated, Engineers and Students. Interdisciplinary teams are also encouraged to enter the Competition.
Submissions can be the work of an individual or a group up to 4 members and there is no age limit. However, entrants under 18 years of age must be lead or entered by someone over the age of 18.
Winning participants will receive prizes totaling US$ 6,000 with the distribution as follows:
1st PRIZE: US$ 3,500
2nd PRIZE: US$ 1,700
3rd PRIZE: US$ 800
There will also be 7 honorable mentions.
For more information visit the Competition Website: www.ac-ca.org